PRESENT APPOINTMENT: CONSULTANT OPHTHALMOLOGIST with special interest in Vitreoretinal surgery and Uveitis
Manchester Royal Eye Hospital, December 2014 – to date
Supervisor of the well renowned Manchester Vitreoretinal fellowship (Clinical and Research), and involved in training VR surgeons from all over the world
FRCOphth, Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London, April 2012
MBBS, King Edward Medical College, Lahore, July 2002
DISTINCTIONS AND AWARDS
- Gold Medal for the best presentation: Retinal Implants; the past, the present and the future
SAARC Academy of Ophthalmology 13th Congress, Karachi, Pakistan 2016
- Golden Punctum Dilator Award
Award for excellence amongst the North Western Deanery trainees, UK. 2012
- Tullo first prize
Best research presentation for the North Western Deanery trainees, UK. 2011
- President Centenary Gold Medal
Best Graduate, King Edward Medical College, 2001
RESEARCH AND PEER REVIEWED SCIENTIFIC PUBLICATIONS
Part of the research team at Manchester Royal Eye Hospital which has pioneered research into, amongst others, retinal implants and retinal gene therapy. Mr. Jalil is one of the few retinal surgeons in the world performing retinal gene therapy and recently carried out one of the first ocular gene therapy surgeries in UK on a patient with a rare inherited retinal disease.Written 3 book chapters and more than 30 publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Swept-Source Optical Coherence Tomography AngioTM (Topcon Corp, Japan): Technology Review
Bandello F, Souied EH, Querques G (eds): OCT Angiography in Retinal and Macular Diseases. Dev Ophthalmol. Basel, Karger. 2016;56:13-7.
- New Findings in Diabetic Maculopathy and Proliferative Disease by Swept-Source Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography
Bandello F, Souied EH, Querques G (eds): OCT Angiography in Retinal and Macular Diseases. Dev Ophthalmol. Basel, Karger. 2016;56:113-21.
- Swept-Source Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography of Paediatric Macular Diseases
Bandello F, Souied EH, Querques G (eds): OCT Angiography in Retinal and Macular Diseases. Dev Ophthalmol. Basel, Karger. 2016;56:166-73.
Selected Publications (total 38)
- Changing clinical patterns of Rhegmatogeneous Retinal Detachments during the COVID-19 Pandemic Lockdown in the North West of the UK
Eur J Ophthalmol. 2020 Oct 17;1120672120965480.
- Outcomes of suprachoroidal haemorrhage drainage with and without vitrectomy: a 10-year study
Eye (Lond). 2020 Sep 2. doi: 10.1038/s41433-020-01170-w.
- The Manchester Large Macular Hole Study: Is it time to reclassify large macular holes?
Am J Ophthalmol. 2018;195:36-42. doi: 10.1016/j.ajo.2018.07.027.
- Electronic retinal implants and artificial vision: journey and present
Eye (Lond). 2017 May 26. doi: 10.1038/eye.2017.65
- Iatrogenic retinal breaks in 20-G versus 23-G Pars Plana Vitrectomy
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2013;251(6):1463-7.