GÜELL José L.
Dr. Jose L. Güell was born in Barcelona, Spain on 1960. He is an Associate Professor of Ophthalmology at the Autònoma University of Barcelona since 1991. He studied Medicine and Surgery at the UB (Central University of Barcelona ) (1977-84).
His Doctorate Degree about “LASIK, laser assisted in situ Ketatomileusis” was presented with “Cum Laude” on July 99 at the UAB (Autònoma University of Barcelona).
He performed his Residency Program in Barcelona at the Autònoma University (1986-1989) at the Vall d’Hebró Unit, a clinical fellowship in Cornea and Refractive Surgery at Emory University, Atlanta (1989) , he was directing the Cornea and Refractive Surgery Section at the Ophthalmology Department of the Vall d ́Hebró Hospital, Autònoma University of Barcelona until 1999.
Presently, he is the Director of Cornea and Refractive Surgery Unit at the ”Instituto de Microcirugia Ocular de Barcelona” , Scientific Coordinator and Professor of the Cornea and Refractive Surgery Module, ESASO, European School for Advanced. Studies in Ophthalmology, Lugano and President of the IMO Foundation.
Dr. Güell areas of interest are full and partial thickness corneal transplantation (Deep Anterior lamellar keratoplasty and endothelial keratoplasty), complex cataract and anterior segment reconstructive procedures including permanent keratoprothesis surgery (artificial cornea). Also, refractive surgery specially Excimer and femtosecond laser, Iris Claw style phakic IOL (Artisan-Artiflex) and Intracorneal Ring Segments have also been areas of interest. He has lectured since 1991 nationally and internationally on these topics. He has 700 Conferences/talks in National and International Meetings and 250 articles in peer-reviewed journals and several book chapters.
Main achieved Awards
– ISRS Kritzinger Award. AAO 2008
– Raynel Medal Lecture: “Quality of Vision and refractive Corneal and Intraocular Surgery” UKISCRS Brighton 2008
– Santa Caterina Gold Medal: “Amniotic membrane: use and abuse”. SITRAC Siena 2010
– Barraquer Award: “How to enhance refractive outcomes”. Videocattaratttarefractiva Milan 2010
– RolandSiccso Award: “DMEK complications”. Annual SICSSO Meeting. Roma 2012
– Menezo Quintana Award: SECOIR . Barcelona 2013
– ISRS Land Award: AAO, Las Vegas 2015
– Fyodorov Award:” Modern Approach for keratoconus patient” HSIOIRS Athens 2016
– Ridley Medal Lecture: “ 30 years of Iris Claw IOLs” ESCRS Copenhaguen 2016
Main International Lectures in severeal Universities worldwide
– Lecturer: 6th Annual Cornea, Cataract & Refractive Surgery Symposium. University of Illinois. Eye and ear infirmary. Chicago 2008
– Lecturer: Wills Eye Institute, Phyladelphia, April 18th Pennsylvania 2012
– Lecturer. 17th Emirates Society of ophthalmology Conferenc December 2017
At the present time, he works on the following Investigations lines: “Beca Fis” for the Expansion Project of Stem cell limbics in Amniotic Membrane
He has been involved in Refractive Surgery since 1989 and in Laser Corneal Surgery since 1993. Laser Assisted in situ Keratomileusis and Iris Claw phakic IOL’s have been his procedures of choice for the correction of myopia and astigmatism since October 1993, and Intracorneal Ring Segments since 1998.
PAST PROFESSIONALS ACTIVITIES
• Vice-Secretary of SECOIR (Spanish Society of Refractive Surgery since 2004-2008
• Past Secretary of the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery since 2004 to 2009
• Past President of the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. ESCRS since 2010.
• Past President of the European Society of Cornea and Ocular Disease Specialist EuCornea since 2012 to 2014
• Founding Director of the European Society of Cornea and Ocular Specialist (Eucornea)
CURRENT EDITORIAL ACTIVITY
• PEER REVIEWED JOURNALS
• Editorial Board of Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, and Co- editor of the Consultation Section
• Editorial Board of the British Journal of Ophthalmology since July 1st 2007
• Editorial Board of CORNEA Since 2004
• Editorial Board of International Journal of Keratoconus and Ectatic Corneal Diseases-Jaypee Journals-Jaypee Brother since 2016
• Member of the Editorial Board of the following Journals
• Founder Associate Editor of the Journal of EuCornea since 2015
• Editor (Co-editor) of the Journal of Emmetropia. Journal of Cataract,
• Refractive and Corneal Surgery since July 2009
• Lead Guest Editor for a special issue on Femtosecond laser in Ophthalmology for the Journal of Ophthalmology since July 2014.
• Belong to the Editorial Board as a Medical Editor of Eurotimes Journal
• Belong to the Editorial Board of Studium Ophthalmologicum
• Member of Editorial Board of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today, Magazine, since June 2002.
• Editorial Board Member of Ocular Surgery News Europe/Asia-Pacific Edition
• Member of the Editorial Board of the Refractive Surgery Quarterly since July 2004
• Member of the Editorial Board of EyeWorld since 2004
• Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Optometry since January 2008.
• Subspecialty Director of Cornea-Europe. SIO Healthcare Advisors since November 2009.
• Co- Editor Noticiero ALACCSA-R since November 2016